Clean living is a popular phrase, but even though it gets thrown around a lot, a surprising number of people aren’t quite sure what it means. Though the definition may vary slightly depending on your source, the general meaning of the term is to get back to using more natural substances while avoiding toxins in the foods and other things you consume.
Though you can’t control everything about your environment (such as air pollution when you’re outside), you can do a lot of things to make sure the environment inside your home is clean. Here are some of the top reasons to implement clean living in your home, starting today.
Benefits of Clean Living
Living clean is a great way to boost your physical and mental health. It can also help you stave off illnesses because you’re reducing the number of toxins you come in contact with on a daily basis. The longer you live clean within the walls of your own home, the more you’ll notice the benefits of this healthy lifestyle, which may include:
- Reducing asthma and allergy symptoms
- Improving your health and wellness
- Lowering your stress levels
- Reducing the spread of germs in your home
- Improving the size of your waistline
- Keeping pests away
The world is chock-full of toxins that can damage your health and make you more susceptible to depression, illness, weight gain, and other unwanted side effects.
How To Live Cleaner
Are you ready to implement clean living in your home? Here are a few key ways to get started.
- Upgrade your skin care routine and only use clean, all-natural products, such as those found in Paris Laundry.
- Limit your consumption of certain oils including corn, sunflower, safflower and soybean oils that oxidize under high heat.
- Eat more plant-based foods including vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Avoid using nonstick cookware. Some studies show that the polymer coating used in nonstick pans can become toxic when heated.
- Dispose of hazardous waste including outdated electronics, old paint and chemicals safely and promptly. Then, avoid buying hazardous products going forward.
- If you must use plastic, make sure it is BPA-free. Never reheat leftover food in plastic containers. Try to replace your plastic food storage containers with glass, stainless steel or ceramic containers.
- An essential part of clean living is to replace harsh household cleaning chemicals with natural options such as baking soda, vinegar and lemons.
- Eat locally grown foods when in season. Visiting farmers' markets allows you to find out exactly how your food was grown and whether pesticides were used. You’ll also get fresher produce, which retains more nutrients than old produce.
- Look at food labels to check for hidden sugars, dyes, preservatives and other additives. Remember, the fewer ingredients a food item has, the better.
These are all great ways to dive into your new, cleaner-living lifestyle. Take each item one at a time to avoid becoming overwhelmed.
Start Your Clean Living Journey
The best place to start your clean living journey is with the products you consume and put on your body. Check out the selection of clean facial cleansers and other skin care products at Paris Laundry and use them to replace your chemical-laden skin care items.